I bought some acrylic paint at the Hobbycraft sale for 49p in a lovely shade called 'Butter' and after rubbing the letters with sandpaper I painted them with the 'Butter' paint. I then rubbed them down again going back to the wood in some places to create an aged look. I then painted them again and rubbed them down - did this a few times!! The brush marks were showing on the paint so I then used a piece of natural sponge and applied the paint again with this. I then rubbed it down and the brush marks had gone and the surface texture was much nicer.
After wiping off the paint dust, I then set about decorating them to jazz them up a little!! I had a look through my collection of buttons and picked out some that had texture or an interesting look. To some of them I added twine to give a more rustic feel. I then stuck them to the letters in different positions. I am pleased with how my letters now look!! Here they are