Bumble Bee's Craft Den

I enjoy crafting and like to try my hand at different things. If there is anything that you see on here that you would like made, please feel free to contact me bumblebeescraftden@gmail.com or by going to my page on Facebook www.facebook.com/bumblebeescraftden. You can post on the wall or send me a message there. I appreciate any comments that people leave so please feel free to comment!!!

Tuesday 5 April 2011

Home is Where the Heart is!!!

I'm not sure if you will remember the 'Home' wooden letters that I bought from Sainbury's a while back but in case you don't, this is what they looked like


They were lovely letters but I just hated the dirty greeny looking, wishy washy colour.

I bought some acrylic paint at the Hobbycraft sale for 49p in a lovely shade called 'Butter' and after rubbing the letters with sandpaper I painted them with the 'Butter' paint.  I then rubbed them down again going back to the wood in some places to create an aged look.  I then painted them again and rubbed them down - did this a few times!!  The brush marks were showing on the paint so I then used a piece of natural sponge and applied the paint again with this.  I then rubbed it down and the brush marks had gone and the surface texture was much nicer.

After wiping off the paint dust, I then set about decorating them to jazz them up a little!!  I had a look through my collection of buttons and picked out some that had texture or an interesting look.  To some of them I added twine to give a more rustic feel.  I then stuck them to the letters in different positions.  I am pleased with how my letters now look!!  Here they are




Hope you like the finished look!!!

12 comments:

  1. This looks so much better, I love the colour and the adornments! :)

    I have the word HOME above the hallway door and in the middle of the night a couple of nights ago my E fell off and landed on the floor with a bang and gave me a right old fright!

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look gorgeous, well done you, very creative x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great. I love the buttons.
    Dx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great you must have been very patient xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing Angie. I love that colour and the buttons finish things off nicely. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow how fantastic are these now! I love the look and the colour is great. The buttons just finish it off. With all that rubbing down it must have been a labour of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a transformation. They look great. Jaqui x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Angie, what a great job you've done here and yes, I do remember you buying them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow Angie what a difference, such a brilliant idea...I love rummaging for things like this dont you
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great, well done

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh what an improvement you've made to them. Well Done - all that rubbing down must have taken ages! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am looking for the word HOME in script black letters to put on top of a shelf in my living room. have not found it yet. Might have to get the individual letters at Michaels and paint myself... I like your design too!

    ReplyDelete

Found this post interesting??? I'd love to read your comments!!!