Bumble Bee's Craft Den

I enjoy crafting and like to try my hand at different things. If there is anything that you see on here that you would like made, please feel free to contact me bumblebeescraftden@gmail.com or by going to my page on Facebook www.facebook.com/bumblebeescraftden. You can post on the wall or send me a message there. I appreciate any comments that people leave so please feel free to comment!!!

Sunday 20 January 2013

Easy Altered Coffee Tin Pen Pot Tutorial!!

Hello everyone!!  Don't you just love little tins!!!  I bought these small tins of coffee recently and thought that they could easily be re-used for something else!!  Initially I had hiped to alter the lid as well but that didn't go so well as the were difficult to paint and cover due to the texture and the fact that they had alot of ridges in them.  So hey - I thought a pen pot it will be!!!

Here's the tin before I did anything to it






So the first thing I did was paint the tin with Gesso to give a texture which would make it easier to stick my patterned paper onto.



I don't get on so well when using Gesso and then putting acrylic paint on top so I avoided doing that!!

I chose some nice paper - mine was 6 x 6 so I had to measure around the tin and join the paper.  The paper was from a pad called Life's Journey by K & Co.





After cutting my paper to size, I stuck double sided tape around the tin, pushing it into the rim with my nail to ensure it was stuck properly.


 Then I carefully stuck on my paper.


I wanted to use a lacy edging but didn't want real lace so I used this fab stick on paper lace that I picked up in a brilliant Japanese shop called Daiso.  The US and the Far East have lots of these stores and they have some fantastic bits and bobs in them for generally £1-£1.50 per item.  I've just found out that a Daiso is in the Japan Centre in Regent St, London - albeit much smaller than the branches abroad but it's a start!!!!  Not sure whether they stock the tape there though!

Here's the tape


Here's how it looks on my tin - I did the bottom edge as well but no photo of that yet!!  It covers up any imperfections on the edge of your paper!!



I then used a Sizzix flourish die and cut one out to put on the tin. I cut a few bits of it off so that it would fit on the tin nicely.


Here it is on the tin - you can see the lace tape on the top and bottom edge on this photo.


Ok - now to add a few flowers!  I cut them using the bits of leftover paper using Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die.  I brushed them over with some Distress Inks so that they had abit of colour.





I then shaped them with an embossing tool and stuck them together and added some pearl embellishments for the middle of the flower


and stuck them on the tin.


Just the right size for keeping my Sharpies!!!


Thanks for popping by!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Found this post interesting??? I'd love to read your comments!!!